I am excited. Ha, well, I’m almost ALWAYS excited when I write in here because I LOVE spreading the word of great opportunities in apswlife!
In March I am taking a 6 hour Montessori Approach To Dementia Course in Toronto curtosy of PEAK College. These guys are something else. After meeting with with them several times I have some serious excitement jitters. Their approach to dealing with Dementia is unlike anything I have seen before and as a PSW I am super super hyped to have the opportunity to take this course.
Wanna join me? Seriously. Do you? IF I were you I would. For $150 you get an amazing experience & opportunity. AND if you’re an OPSWA PSW – you get another $25 off!
Here’s the deal:
Course Date: March 1st Time: 2pm-7pm Where: PEAK College, Sheppard Ave. Toronto
Montessori Implementation Workshop Outline
All About Dementia
– Understanding the different types of dementia and their characteristics.
– The effects of dementia
– Risk factors
-Executive Functioning. What it is and understanding its important relevance when caring
for a person with dementia.
– About Alzheimer’s, Vascular Dementia, Lewy Body dementia and Frontal Temporal
A Challenging Job
– Address the challenges in the PSWs daily job while working with residents that have dementia.
– Looking at long term care and its current approach to dementia
– Paint a better looking picture for PSWs caring for resident’s with dementia
– Discuss the behaviors including aggression that resident’s display
-Explore the reasons for the behaviors
– Become enlightened by the reasons for the behaviors
Long Term Memory System
– Learn how the memory system works in the human brain
-Understand the differences in the brain’s memory system
– Montessori Approach and the connection to the brain’s memory system
– Learn how the original methods where developed and why
– The impacts Montessori had had in our world and how it relates to all attending the workshop
– Montessori Benefits
– Humans and the need for a sense of accomplishment and contribution
– Finding the person behind the dementia
– Theory of the Montessori Approach when caring for a person with dementia
– The resident and the 8 Montessori keys
– Explore various activities in all areas of life.
– Understand how Montessori activities engage a person and the importance of these simple
– See the inspiring Montessori successes in LTC, Retirement Homes and Hospitals
– Using your personal talents in your job
– Improve the quality of resident care using Montessori
The Prepared Environment
– Understand the need for a prepared environment for all human beings. Even more so for a
person with dementia.
– Complete step by step instructions on how to prepare the environment for resident with
dementia in any setting.
– Step by step on how to approach a resident with dementia and the appropriate conduct for such
How to Become a Facilitator
– Understand the role of a facilitator
– Making your job a lot easier using Montessori
– Facilitating your residents when there are no programs.
– Avoiding behaviors before they happen
– Deescalating behaviors in residents
– A look at roles and routines – easy access
– Engaging multiple residents at one time
– Adult talk, adult activity
– The use of tactile objects to engage a person with dementia and the brilliance behind it.
Physical Resident Care Using Montessori
– A step by step instruction on the various types of care needs for residents with dementia
including bathing, toileting, feeding, dressing and oral hygiene
-The use of visual cues
– Proper respect and conduct when physically caring for a resident with dementia
– Care cards – a successful way to address and engage a resident in physical care
– Recognizable cues for residents. What works and what doesn’t
– Encouraging independence. Learn all the tricks
– The dining room experience
If you’re interested in signing up for this amazing course, email me firstname.lastname@example.org
I’ll be there & I CANNOT wait to to do this.
Tell your friends.